Spicy Thai Fire Pot Soup
This recipe is great using chicken or shrimp! Prepare the meat according to your personal preferences.
1/4 pound dry rice noodles
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 14-oz can light coconut milk
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 handful basil leaves, torn
1 stalk lemongrass
1 serrano pepper, pierced with a knife in several places
Salt & pepper to taste
1 handful cilantro, chopped (optional)
1) Soak the rice noodles in cold water according to the package instructions (typically about one hour prior to cooking).
2) Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan or high-walled skillet over medium-high heat and cook the shrimp until just pink.
3) Remove shrimp and set aside. Add the curry paste to the remaining olive oil and whisk to combine for 1-2 minutes.
4) Slowly add the vegetable stock and coconut milk, whisking constantly.
5) Add the fish sauce, brown sugar, basil, lemongrass and serrano pepper. Let simmer for five minutes.
6) Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the rice noodles and let simmer for another 5 minutes. Four minutes in, add the shrimp.
7) Remove the lemongrass and serrano pepper. Serve with chopped cilantro, if desired