Red Pepper and Baked Egg Galettes2014-02-16
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 60m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 1:20 h
This yummy recipe combines a sour cream coated flaky pastry with some freshly grilled veggies. The trick to this dish is the runny egg and a just baked enough pastry. Keep an eye on it!
2 large or 4 small red bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch strips
2 small onions, (red or white) halved and cut into 1/2 inch wedges
fresh sprigs of thyme, leaves removed
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
6 Tbsp olive oil
handful fresh parsley, chopped
handful cilantro, chopped
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten, for brushing the pastry
12 tsp sour cream
4 large fresh eggs
salt and fresh cracked pepper
1) Mix pepper, onions, thyme and spics in a small bowl. Add olive oil and toss to create a spicy oil coating.
2) Spread on a baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes, stirring and rearranging the veggies a few times so they don’t burn.
3) Sprinkle veggies with half fresh herbs and set aside.
4) Turn oven up to 425. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface until it reaches a 12×12 inch square. Cut into four 6 inch squares. Transfer to two parchment or silpat lined baking sheets.
5) Take a knife and score a little 1/4 inch frame around each square of pastry. Don’t cut all the way through. Prick the inside of the squares all over with the tines of a fork. Put back in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6) Remove the pastry from the fridge and brush all over with a beaten egg. Spread the inside of each square with 3 tsp of sour cream.
7) Top each with some of the veggie mixture, spread it out evenly, leaving the borders free, and leaving a shallow depression in the center for the egg, which will go in later.
8) Bake for 10 minutes until rising and starting to brown. Remove and carefully crack in egg into the center of each galette.
9) Put back into the oven for about 10 minutes until the egg is set.
10) Voila! – top with salt, pepper, remaining herbs and drizzle on some olive oil.