Potato & Ham Chowder2014-03-20
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 25m
A very warm & delicious, flavourful potato chowder for those chilling evenings.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
4 slices Jones Dairy Farm Sliced Bacon, diced
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups milk, or more, as needed
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 (7-ounce) package Jones Dairy Ham Steak, diced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1) Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
2) Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in corn and thyme until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
3) Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in potatoes.
4) Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 12-15 minutes. Stir in ham, salt and pepper, to taste. If the chowder is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
5) Serve immediately, garnished with bacon, if desired.