Nutella Pop Tarts2014-02-15
- Yield : 9
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 50m
Pop tarts are one of my go to snacks when me or my children are in a rush. Our family is trying to eat less and less processed food, which can be difficult when there are so many delicious snacks out there!
This home made pop tarts recipe can be easily modified using whole wheat instead. You could also use more or less sugar, depending on your goals!
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, cut up
2 Tablespoons milk
1 cup Nutella
1/2 cup melted white chocolate
1) Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. With a pastry blender or fork, work the butter until pea-sized lumps of butter are still visible, and the mixture holds together upon squeezing.
2) Whisk anegg and milk together. stir them into the dough and mix. if necessary, flour the counter and knead the dough.
3) Cut the dough in half, then roll it into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick, enough that you can trim it to 9″ x 12″. Repeat with the other dough.
4) Cut each piece of dough into thirds and form nine 3″ x 4″ rectangles.
5) Beat another egg and brush it over the surface of the first dough. The egg will “glue” the lid on the pastry. Place a heaping tablespoon of Nutella into the center of each, keep a 1/2-inch perimeter for the edges. Firmly press a second dough piece on top of the other, sealing it well.
6) Use a fork to crimp all edges of the pastry, then repeat with the others.
7) Place onto baking sheet, poke the top of pastry with a fork so that the steam can ventilate. Bake them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes until they are a light golden brown.
8) Top with your favorite sprinkles or frosting!