Easy Scotch Egg’s Recipe2014-02-21
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
A scotch staple, learn how to make this delicious breakfast egg recipe in no time!
8 large eggs
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
5 cups cornflakes cereal
12 ounces fresh pork breakfast sausage, casings removed
2 quarts vegetable oil, for frying
1) Place 6 of the eggs in a medium saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover the eggs by 1 inch.
2) Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then remove the pan from the heat. Cover it with a tightfitting lid and let the eggs sit in the hot water for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare an ice water bath by filling a large bowl halfway with ice and water.
3) When the eggs are ready, transfer them to the ice water bath using a slotted spoon. Let the eggs sit until they’re cold, about 10 minutes. Carefully crack and peel each egg. Rinse the eggs under cold water to remove any residual shell pieces and pat them dry with paper towels. Place them on a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
4) Crack the remaining 2 eggs into a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper, and lightly whisk with a fork to break them up; set aside. Place the flour in a shallow dish, season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine; set aside.
5) Place the cornflakes in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment and process into fine crumbs (you should have about 1 cup). Alternatively, place the cornflakes in a resealable plastic bag, press out the air, and seal the bag. Using a rolling pin, crush the cornflakes into uniform fine crumbs. Place the crumbs in a second shallow dish; set aside.
6) Divide the sausage into 6 even portions, roll each into a ball, and place on the baking sheet with the boiled eggs.
7) Line a work surface with plastic wrap and have a second sheet of plastic wrap ready. Place 1 ball of sausage in the middle of the plastic wrap on the work surface and cover it with the second sheet of plastic wrap.