Dark Chocolate Pavlova with Wine & Strawberry Reduction2014-02-15
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 3:0 h
6 large egg whites
2 cups superfine sugar *
3 tbsp. unsweetened dark cocoa powder, sifted
1 tbsp. red wine
2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
Wine Soaked Strawberries:
1 pint fresh strawberries, halved or quartered
¼ cup red wine
1 tbsp. sugar
Red wine Drizzle:
1 cup red wine
Whip Cream or Cool Whip, optional
1) Preheat oven to 350°.
2) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Decide if you want individual Pavlovas or one large one. For one large, draw a 9 inch circle on the paper with a pencil. If individual, draw a circle around a cup or bowl the size of the Pavlovas you want. Flip the parchment paper over so the pencil marks are on the bottom.
3) In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Then beat in the sugar a spoonful at a time until stiff peaks form. The meringue should start should look shiny.
4) Sprinkle the sifted cocoa powder, wine and chopped chocolate over the egg whites. Gently fold in the ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
5) Using a spoon gently drop dollops of meringue into each of the circles on the parchment paper. (I could not pipe them because the chopped chocolate would clog the piping bag).
6) Gently even out with a small spatula.
7) Put the meringues in the oven and immediately turn the oven down to 300°. Bake for about 30 minutes to one hour and 15 minutes depending on the size. The Pavlovas should be crispy and dry on top. Press your finger gently past the crust and you should feel a squishy spring like texture.
8) Turn off the oven but leave the Pavlovas in there. Open the door slightly and cool completely.
For Strawberries: combine all ingredients and refrigerate for at least an hour.
For Wine Drizzle: place wine in a small saucepan and bring up to a boil.
9) Turn down to a simmer and let the wine cook down until it is the consistency of syrup. Do not cook until it is hard.
To serve: Place Pavlovas on a plate and spoon strawberries with a little bit of the juice in the middle of each Pavlova.
Place a dollop of whipped cream or Cool Whip on Top. With a spoon drizzle the wine syrup over the top.