Chile Rellenos Casserole2014-03-01
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 1:30 h
- Ready In : 1:50 h
Recipe Adapted by Winner Dinners/Origin Unknown
3 7-oz. cans whole green chiles
1 pound cheddar cheese, grated
1 pound jack cheese, grated
1 13-oz. can evaporated milk
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 6-oz. can tomato paste
1) Wash the chiles, removing the seeds, and dry on paper towels.
2) Grate the cheeses. Reserve 1/2 cup of each of the two cheeses, mixing them together in a small bowl. This will go on top of the casserole later, so you can place it in the refrigerator for now.
3) In a medium-sized casserole dish, approximately 8 x 11 (9 x 13 is too big), layer 1/2 of the chiles, all of the cheddar cheese, the remaining chiles, then all of the jack cheese. Separate the eggs.
4) Beat the yolks and add the evaporated milk, flour and salt, beating until frothy. Beat the whites separately for about a minute. Combine the two egg mixtures and beat for a few seconds longer so that they are well-mixed. Pour the egg mixture over the chiles and cheese.
5) Bake at 300 for 1 hour. Then spread the tomato paste over the top. Sprinkle with the reserved cheese you placed in the refrigerator. Bake 1/2 hour longer. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.