5 Homemade Puppy Chow Recipes (Gourmet Dog Food)2014-01-29
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
Every now and again we like to spoil our dog. After all, he gets to watch us cook dinner every night and only gets the leftovers! How unfair
With that in mind, I wanted to tackle a delicious recipe to give back to my little buddy – and here it is. Gourmet Puppy Chow!
1. Southern Style Bone Biscuits
1 cup Uncooked Oatmeal
1 1/2 cups Hot Water or Meat Juices
1 cup Grated Cheese
1 egg (beaten)
1 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup Margarine
1/2 cup Powdered Milk
1/4 ts Salt
1 cup cornmeal
3 cups Whole Wheat Flour
• In large bowl pour hot water over oatmeal and margarine.
• Let stand for 5 minutes.
• Stir in powdered milk, salt and egg.
• Add cornmeal and wheat germ.
• Mix well.
• Add flour, 1/3 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
• Knead 3 or 4 minutes, adding more flour if necessary to make very stiff dough.
• Pat or roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
• Cut into bone shaped biscuits and place on a greased baking sheet.
• Bake for 1 hour at 300 degrees.
• Turn off heat and leave in oven for 1 1/2 hours or longer.
• We used a frosting base without sugar, and some food coloring to prepare multi colored decorations on our biscuits. (Totally optional, but worth it!)
2. Quiche La Canine
1/2 tbsp cream
2/3 cup nonfat milk
1/2 cup (tofu or free-range ground turkey or beef)
3 tbsp cheese (low-fat is best)
9 inch pie crust (thin crust or shell is best)
• Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
• Combine all ingredients and pour directly into the pie crust.
• Bake for 40 minutes.
• Let cool at least 5 minutes, and then serve.
3. Doggie Beef Stew
1 cup hamburger meat
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
2 jars of baby food veggies (peas, green beans, carrots, spinach)
2 tbsp fat-free cottage cheese
1 tbsp olive oil
• In a pan, cook meat with olive oil.
• Once meat is brown, drain excess grease from meat.
• Then, add eggs, rice, cottage cheese and vegetables.
• Mix well.
• Let food cool to room temperature.
4. Canine Beef & Rice
2 cups cooked brown rice
2/3 cup Lean beef
2 teaspoons lard — or veggie oil
1/2 cup vegetables — no onion*
• Mix all together.
• You can serve the beef raw if you use chunks of beef.
• Do not serve ground beef raw, the grinding process increases the chances of bacterial contamination.
• Use any vegetables you like. You will find over time that your dog will leave any
vegetables he does not like.
• Mix the above. Serve slightly warm, but not hot.
5. Puppy Chow Salmon
2 cups canned salmon
8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon beef broth
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley (flat leaf is best)
• Drain and flake salmon, removing any skin and bones combine salmon,
cream cheese and beef broth.
• Chill mixture for at least one hour.
• Shape salmon mixture into a 2 x 8 inch log and roll in pecans and parsley.
• Slice in 8 pieces and serve.
• Store unused portion in a sealed container, refrigerated.
Notice your little buddy watching you prepare everything in the kitchen. Just like always, but they will definately be surprised when this dish is turned onto them!!