7 Delicious Avocado Meal Ideas
This new year means more Superfoods! Avocados are rich in vitamins A, C, and E and are full of other nutrients like potassium. They contain folate, monosaturated fats and antioxidants.
The monosaturated fats in avocados not only help in reducing LDL cholesterol but are also good for theheart. Avocado also lowers the triglycerides in the blood and thus is useful for diabetic patients.
Avocado contains 30% more potassium than banana. The high potassium content helps in regulating blood pressure and prevents circulatory diseases. They’re great if you’re pregnant too!
7. BAKED EGGS IN AVOCADO
2 ripe avocados
4 fresh eggs
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice the avocados in half, and take out the pit. Scoop out about two tablespoons of flesh from the center of the avocado, just enough so the egg will fit snugly in the center.
- Place the avocados in a small baking dish. Do your best to make sure they fit tightly.
- Crack an egg into each avocado half. Try your best to crack the yolk in first, then let the egg whites spill in to fill up the rest of the shell.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cooking time will depend on the size of your eggs and avocados. Just make sure the egg whites have enough time to set.
- Remove from oven, then season with pepper, chives, and garnish of your choice. Enjoy!
6. AVOCADO SMOOTHIE
- 1 peeled, pitted avocado, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Combine 1 peeled, pitted, chopped avocado with 2 cups milk, 3 tbsp granulated sugar and 2 tsp lime juice in a blender. Purée until smooth, 1 min. Pour into tall glasses.
5. Zesty Aztec Soup
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro stems
- 1 to 2 tbsp finely chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
- 660 ml bottle strained tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups crumbled tortilla chips
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, quartered
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high. Add oil, then garlic. Cook until garlic starts to brown, about 15 sec. Add cilantro stems and chipotles. Stir constantly for 1 min. Add tomatoes, salt and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 min. Strain soup though a sieve into a large pot. Discard stems.
- Divide tortilla chips among 4 bowls. Pour hot soup over chips. Top with onion, tomato, avocado, cheddar, sour cream and cilantro. Serve immediately with a wedge of lime.
4. Salmon & Avocado Burger
- 500 g fresh salmon fillets
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp flax meal
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- Remove and discard skin from salmon. Chop salmon into 1/2-in. pieces, then transfer to a large bowl. Stir in egg, onion, flax meal, dill, lemon juice and salt. Gently stir in avocado.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Spray pan with cooking spray. Scoop a heaping 1/2-cup portion into pan. Press into a 1-in.-thick round patty. Repeat, cooking 2 patties at a time. Cook until bottoms are golden-brown and crisp, 3 to 4 min. Flip and continue cooking until salmon is cooked through, about 3 more min. Top with pickled-ginger relish or peach salsa.
3. Ginger Shrimp Bowl
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 ripe, firm avocado
- 340 g bag frozen peeled raw shrimp, medium
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Bring rice, 2 1/2 cups water and salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed, 30 min.
- Whisk honey with soy sauce and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside. Discard pit from avocado, then scoop flesh from peel and slice into wedges. Rinse frozen shrimp with cold running water to remove any ice crystals.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium-high. Add shrimp and ginger and stir-fry just until shrimp are pink and cooked through, 3 to 4 min. Remove from heat and drizzle with 1 tbsp honey dressing. When rice is cooked, remove from heat and stir in remaining dressing. Scoop rice into 3 bowls and top with avocado, shrimp, feta and cilantro.
2. Veggie BLT Clubhouse
- 125 g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tbsp chopped pimento olives
- 6 slices whole wheat or multi-grain bread, toasted
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and sliced
- 6 leaves iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- STIR cream cheese with walnuts and olives in a small bowl. Spread cheese mixture on each slice of bread.
- LAYER jalapeno and lettuce on 2 slices of bread. Top another 2 slices with avocado, tomato and more lettuce and lay over jalapeno slices. Sandwich with remaining 2 slices.
- SLICE sandwiches in quarters (each person gets 2 quarters).
1. Avocado Pound Cake – try it!
- Pound Cake
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup puréed avocado
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla Glaze
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly spray an 8 × 4-in. loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour with baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high until frothy, about 1 min. Gradually add 2 tbsp sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form, about 3 more min. Set aside.
- Beat avocado with butter in a large bowl until smooth. Beat in remaining sugar, until very fluffy, about 3 min. Beat in egg yolk, milk and vanilla.
- Stir in half of flour mixture with a spatula. Fold in half the egg whites until combined. Fold in remaining flour mixture and egg whites. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in centre of oven until loaf is golden brown, 40 min. Cover loosely with foil and continue baking until a cake tester inserted in centre of loaf comes out clean, 20 to 25 more min. Cool in pan
on a rack for 10 min, then turn loaf out onto rack to cool completely.
- Push raspberries through a sieve into a bowl, using the bottom of a ladle. Discard seeds. Purée should measure 2 to 3 tbsp. Whisk in icing sugar until smooth. Spoon glaze over pound cake. Unglazed loaf will keep well, wrapped in foil and frozen, up to 2 weeks.